Sea Pearls are soft, dense and durable sea sponges that act as a tampon to absorb menstrual flow and have been used by women all over the world for over 40 years.
Sea Sponges are a reusable, completely natural alternative to disposable tampons and Jade and Pearl Sea Sponges are free of chemicals, bleach, chlorine, fragrance, dyes or synthetic materials.
Each Sea Pearl is washed, inspected, trimmed, and packaged by Jade & Pearls expert sponge squad to ensure it is of high quality. Sea Pearls can be trimmed and sculptured until you reach your desired size.
These sponges are harvested from the Mediterranean Sea where divers cut the sponge by hand and leave the base intact which allows the sponge to regrow. Sponges must be a minimum of 12.5cm when harvested to prevent excessive harvesting and harvesting is strictly prohibited in protected marine sanctuaries and coral reefs.
Sea Pearls are reusable for up to 3-6 months and come in a range of sizes to suit your anatomy and flow.
- Wet the sponge
- Gently insert the sea sponge into the vagina
- Remove after 3-4 hours or as often as required for a heavier flow
- Rinse an repeat.
- Small: 3.8 – 5.1cm for Light Flow and young women
- Medium: 5.1 – 6.3cm for Medium to Heavy Flow
- Large: 6.3 – 7.6cm for Heavy Flow
- Multi-Pack: Small, Medium and Large sponge
If you are unsure of sizing, opt for the larger size as seas sponges can be trimmed.
Firm Sea Sponges are recommended for those looking for a sponge for prolapse.
Sponges can be delicate and care should be taken when cleaning and using them. If cared for properly, sponges can last up to 3-6 months.
- Use a natural chemical-free soap or soak for 5-10 minutes in a cup of warm water with one of the following;
- 2-3 drops tea tree oil
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 1 tbsp baking soda (helps restore volume and density)
- 1 tsp hydrogen peroxide (helps eliminate discolouration)
- Rinse sponge and squeeze out excess water
Do not boil your sponge as this will shrink and toughen your sea sponges.
Do not use harsh soaps or chemicals.
Do not soak your sponges longer than the recommended time as it may cause the sponge to deteriorate.
How often should sponges be cleaned?
Sea Pearls can be rinsed and reused multiple times. Hade & Pearl recommend that you clean your sponge:
- Prior to use for the first time
- Once daily or every other day
- If the sponge develops an unpleasant odour
- Prior to storing
Ensure sponge is completely dry before storing.
How to trim a sponge
Sponges are easiest to trim when dry but can also be carefully trimmed when wet and should be trimmed around the edges to reach the desired shape. It is not recommended to cut sea sponges in half.
With scissors, trim around the perimeter of the sponge, a little at a time until you reach the desired size.
If the surface of your sponge starts to become ragged, do not rip or tear the sponge. Instead, trim the loose pieces off with scissors until the surface is smooth. This will extend the lifetime of your sponge.